Friday, April 6, 2012

LIZPICKS


THE PATRICK MELROSE NOVELS
by Edward St. Aubyn

This single volume includes 4 harrowing novels ,"Never Mind", "Bad News",
"Some Hope" and "Mother's Milk". 

I changed my mind about writing a review when I asked our customer, the eloquent, brilliant and very, very funny Aussie author, Bradley Trevor Grieve, for his opinion of the books.  His response:
"A barbed wire enema with a glass of champagne."
Any other review pales.

ERASURE
by Percival Everett

What can I say?  Double down. You get two books for the price of one.You'll understand when you read it. Brilliant AND funny.






THE THIEF
by Fuminori Nakamura
translated by Satoko Izumo and Stephen Coates

For all of you who love Japanese mysteries, this one is a find - grim, perverse, and a peephole into the Japanese underground.  Maybe Tokyo isn't so safe after all?

Then go see "Jiro Dreams of Sushi".  It's like watching an Ozu film had he made documentaries.  Extraordinary.


                                    THE BUS DRIVER WHO WANTED TO BE GOD & Other Stories
      by Etgar Keret
                                   
      With this cover and this title (the title of the first short story in the book) how can you not try it?  Wildly imaginative and moving short stories by the Israeli author Etgar Keret.

2 comments:

  1. I'm beginning the Patrick Melrose novels pronto. I always take a Liz Pick very, very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Girl! I just love your 'username' "Lizpicks". I kept thinking it was saying "lipsticks"......till just now! duh.

    ReplyDelete